Sunday, 27 July 2014

How I Deep Clean My Make Up Brushes


I'm going to be talking about something that no one likes doing and that is cleaning make up brushes. I have heard people say that they haven't clean their make up brushes this year which is just sickening to me because I am a clean freak and therefore I normally clean my make up brushes every two weeks. I also clean my make up brushes quite regularly because I only own one foundation brush  that works really well for me. However I am looking to buy a few more foundation brushes so I don't have to clean my brushes as often. With eye shadow brushes, they don't need to be washed as often but I would advise you clean your foundation brushes as often as every two to three weeks to avoid bacteria from festering on your foundation brush and then being transferred into your face when your apply your foundation. I am going to show you how I deep clean my brushes rather than spot cleaning your brushes so here we go...


To clean my make up brushes I use the Johnson's baby shampoo and you may think that this is a weird choice but I use this shampoo because it is gentle and as it says 'as gentle to eyes as pure water' and therefore is gentle on my face. I also love the smell of this shampoo and leaves the make up brushes feeling smooth and soft. 


The first thing I do when I decide I need to clean my brushes is my dampen all the brushes I am going to wash with lukewarm water. This makes it easier to get the shampoo to lather and fully clean the brush. I dampen every brush but forgot to take a photo of every brush but hopefully you get the idea. 


The next step is to pump however much you want of the shampoo or whatever cleaning product you want to use. However just be carefully and try not to use too much cleaning product because it can be a nightmare later on when your trying to get rid of the shampoo before drying. 





After I have pumped the shampoo into my hand, I swirl the brush in my hand and into the shampoo to lather up the product and you can occasionally add a bit of water and keep swirling the brush around in your palm and watch all the foundation disappear off the brush. I normally do this with the all the brushes however I don't use as much shampoo with eyeshadow brushes and smaller brushes. 





Next up, I just normally run the brush under lukewarm water to get rid of the shampoo and then squeeze out any extra product and water and often there is still shampoo left in the brush so I run it under the tap with lukewarm water and then squeeze out the water again and I would recommend doing this until you don't see any bubble or shampoo when you squeeze the brush. 


The last step in washing your make up brushes is to leave them to dry which is normally the longest and worst bit so I would recommend that you wash your brushes in the morning after you have applied your make up so that the brushes have the whole day and night to dry fully and so your not applying your make up with a semi damp brush. I normally balance my make up brushes over the edge of my bath tub so they can drip dry and if the brushes have a certain shape then try your best to mound the brush into that shape so they dry that way. 

And that's how I deep clean my make up brushes! I hope that wasn't too boring and was helpful and this is just the way that I wash my brushes but you can use whatever product you want to clean with and you can repeat this a number of times if you very dirty brushes. 

How often do you clean your brushes? What do you use? 

Emily <3 






14 comments:

  1. I hate washing my makeup brushes! I use johnsons shampoo and something anti bacterial Xx
    http://louiselovesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. using johnsons shampoo is great because it smells so nice :)

      emily xx

      emilycouture95.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  2. Hey honey :)
    I clean them way to rarely ^^ If you would like to support each other then just follow me and I'll follow back immediately :)

    Yours
    www.ella-liebt.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi :) i have followed your blog on bloglovin! thanks for commenting and reading xx

      Delete
  3. Really handy, thank you- I get lazy with cleaning my brushes and I have to motivate myself to do it haha! xx

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it :) I can get lazy with my make up brushes as well! thanks for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  4. Yay real techniques brushes! I haven't tried baby shampoo yet but I think that will be my next brush cleanser!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC, g+, and bloglovin? Let me know on my blog :)

    http://ramyun-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yea I love my real technique brush! it is amazing :) I would love to follow you on bloglovin :) thanks for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  5. I love those brushes, have so many of them! I always forget to wash my brushes but try to clean them every week or two, I also use a No7 brush cleaner for quick cleaning when I need to! x

    http://littlebitofsassy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. might have to try the No7 brush cleaner :) thanks for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  6. I use a bar of soap or liquid soap flakes and a Sigma brush glove. I've never found baby shampoo to be that efficient, especially with foundation. A lot of make-up artists swear by Palmolive Anti-bacterial liquid soap and it does a pretty good job too. Alcohol sprays are good for in-between washes, if you don't have time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I think baby shampoo is a great idea! I'll have to try it out. I use dove shampoo and find it gets rid of stains really well, and leaves my brushes really soft :)
    http://theadventuresofafirstyear.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really good :) thanks for commenting and reading xx

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric