Thursday, 21 August 2014

Beauty Expiration Dates




Today's post is about Beauty Expiration Dates and I came up with this idea when I walked into my bathroom and looked in my draws. This is because my bathroom draw is currently overflowing and a big mess and part of the problem is that I just don't throw anything away and I am just a big beauty product hoarder. This got me thinking about when beauty expiration dates are and when they should be thrown out. Obviously anything that looks, feels or smells funny should be thrown away immediately and anything that is definitely out of date and this applies to products that might still looks, smells and feels ok. Never put put anything that is out of date on your face because it won't do your skin any good. However one thing I have noticed is that a lot of beauty products don't print any Expiration Dates and that's because it's not a legal requirement to do so. I have found this website called checkcosmetic.net which is where you just type in the bar or lot code and this gives you the month and year that the product was made in. Loads of different websites say different lengths of time to keep products so I have created a list from doing research online through blogs and websites.

Mascara: 3-4 months
Liquid Liners: 4 months 
Eye Cream: 6 months 
Cleanser: 6-12 months 
Toner: 6-12 months 
Bath Oil: 1 year 
Eye & Lip Pencils: 1 year
Lipgloss: 1 year 
Concealer: 1 year
Foundation: 1-2 years
Nail Polish: 1-2 years
Lipstick: 1-2 years 
Powders: 2 years 
Eye Shadow: 2 years
Blush: 2 years 
Bronzer: 2 years 
Deodorant: 2 years
Moistruiser: 2 years 
Sun Cream: 2 years
Body Cream: 2-3 years 
Soap: 2-3 years
Shampoo & Conditioner: 3 years
Shower Gel: 2-3 years 
Styling Prodcuts: 2-3 years
Fragrance: 1-5 years 

Hopefully I covered most products and of course every product is different and they have individual ingredients which will affect how long they last for. This list of expiration dates is just a guide and is rather vague and you can use your own judgement because if the product changes texture, smell or colour it most likely means that the products needs to be thrown out. Hopefully you have found this information useful and of course this is just a guide. 

Are you a beauty product hoarder? 

Emily <3 

8 comments:

  1. i am so guilty of this!! the amount of products i have in the bottom of the draws that have been there for years! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/08/lets-get-naked-detox-bath-salts-from.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep almost everything I have ever brought! xx

      Delete
  2. I have so many old make-up items in my draw, I just can't bring myself to get rid of them because of how much money I would have to spend to attempt to replace things :( xx

    http://littlebitofsassy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks this was super helpful! I hate how mascaras last for such a short time but my favourite one is high end :(

    www.imaniqbal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right! I have like four mascara on the go and then I have to throw them away! xx

      Delete
  4. I take these with a pinch of salt. I have products years old. My house is clean, my brushes are washed daily. The expiration dates are merely a ploy to make you spend more. Your nose and your eye are the best tools. If it smells funny or looks odd, then throw it out. But I'm not throwing my £30 foundation out, of which only a centimetre is used. Yes it's five years old, but it's still fine. Common sense is needed here not manufacturers telling you to throw it out. They say you should replace your bras every six months. Yeah, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean and this list is just a guide and I would say that using your own judgement is best xx

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric