Sunday, 11 January 2015

Exam Anxiety & Stress // How I Deal With It


As I am writing this post, I have one week until my first exam at university. This fact scares the living day light out of me. I have been thinking about writing this post for some time but at this moment in time, I am very nervous and anxious and feel the need to talk about it so do bear with.

Every time I hear the word 'Exam' my heart rate increases and I feel very sick. Just the word sends me into nervous wreak and it often affects me really badly. My anxiety often makes me study until I fall asleep and or until I end up crying down the phone to my mum. I am not going to lie when I say that have been worrying about this exam for the last two months. Yes two months!

When I ask others around me if they have started revising for the exam, they say that they haven't thought about it let alone open a textbook or write revision cards which is crazy to me. Sometimes I feel like the only person who gets nervous and anxious about exams. However because I have had to deal with this during sixth form I have come up with a couple of ways to help and I thought why not share them...

1. Get Out and Take a Break
During a exam period, I often end up studying from the minute I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. However after about 2 weeks of that, I am so drained and that's where my first technique comes in. If you have having a study day, then take breaks such as going to Starbucks and grabbing a coffee or going out for a run. Believe me, this will leave you refreshed and ready to study. 

2. Study with Friends
Most people who don't study seem to say it is because they find it boring and I often suffer with this. So to solve this, I often text friends and ask to meet up and have a study session together. I often find these the best ways of studying because you learn so much while enjoying yourself. I had a study session the other day and I never laughed so much in my life. Try it! Grab friends and study.

 3. Turn off Everything & Focus
Slightly different from my last two points, when you get around to studying, turn off your phone, laptop, computer and TV. Turn off everything that will cause you to lose focus. If this means going to the library than so be it. Doing this will help you to focus and take in as much as possible.

4. Be Comfortable 
There is nothing worse than sitting in tight jeans trying to study (yes I have been there before). When I study, I often put on tracksuit pants or sweatpants and often sit on the sofa. Just find what is comfortable and crack on and study. However this doesn't meant, sit in your PJs in bed studying because that won't work either. This also applies to the exam itself. Wear clothes that you are comfortable in such as hoodies, leggings and converses.

5. Breath and Take Your Time 
One of the important points and I am often reminded of this. During and before exams, I get very nervous and my breathing becomes heavier and faster. This is bad because it can often lead to a panic attack which is not what you want. Just breath and try to hear yourself breath. Count your breathes. Take your time, don't panic and pretend your doing a past paper in your room.

6. Don't Over Think It
I am that person who reads a question and then comes up with a answer before than questioning myself. Its ok to think twice about an answer and check it but don't think about the answer for half an hour because that won't help.

These are my top six tips of how I deal with stress and anxiety that comes with exams. These are just my tips and tricks and they may not work for everyone. Exam is a stressful and nervous time and it is only human to worry and be nervous. I often find these hard to follow but when it gets bad these tips really help. If you are sitting exams whether it be, GCSEs, A Levels, IB, University or something else, good luck and if you have any tips about how to deal with it, leave them in the comments!

Does this ever happen to you? Do you ever get anxious about exams?

Emily <3 

8 comments:

  1. Comfort is key. If you take a test in tight jeans kudos to you but I need to be 1,000,000% comfortable. Lovely tips, Emily.
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love being comfortable with leggings :) thanks so much xx

      Delete
  2. Those are fantastic tips which I can really use right now since I'm currently studying for my semester exams. I always get anxious, and sometimes it's hard to control it. Thank you for this post!

    Do you wanna follow each other? Let me know on my blog! Xo
    MY LATEST POST
    bloglovin
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my exam is tomorrow and i'm very nervous too but we are together :) xx

      Delete
  3. Great tips! I'm having exams too! Good luck!
    xx
    www.theblackblush.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing tips! Good luck with your exams! =)

    NEW POST on http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric