Monday, 12 September 2016

Starting University | My Tips & Tricks


Its that time of the year again when universities begin a new year and everyone moves in. This is definitely very true for me as I am surrounded by all my belongings, trying my best to stuff at into my car boot. Although this is my final year at university, this time is different because my younger brother is off to university as well. I remember my first couple of weeks at university very clearly and as I am giving advice to my brother in bucket loads, I thought why not pop up a post about it too. So here is my top tips and tricks for starting university or for just being more adult like.

Budget & Save 
Budgeting may seem like a silly thing to point out but believe me, it really makes a difference at university. At the beginning of each week, I write down everything that requires money or bills that are due, and create a total budget for that week. If no bills are due that week, I will often take out a set amount of money for the week and I don't allow myself to take any more money out. This may seem silly but my shopping habits are out of control at times. Saving is another great thing to do at university, so that when it comes to special events, you don't have to miss out on them because you have no money left.

Don't Go Over Board On the Homeware 
When I first started university, everyone had the most expensive cooking equipment, towels and bed linen. But I quickly learnt that it really isn't worth it because they are so many amazing places that have great homeware products for a cheaper price. My favourite places include Primark, H&M, New Look and TK Maxx, In terms of kitchen ware, I would recommend Homebase as they have a massive selection at a reasonable price.

Meal Plan 
Planning your meals ahead of time is one of the most helpful things you can do at university. To some people, it may seem like the worse thing in the world and that's fine but for me, I need a plan. I normally sit down on Saturday Night and write down all the meals for the week in my planner. Crazy Saturday Night! By planning breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next week, it allows you to ensure that you don't overspend when food shopping and means you don't the issue of getting home and having to think of what to cook. I also love cooking in bulk as I normally cook in big quantities as I have a big family, so when I'm living by myself I still cook the same amount but just pop the left overs in the freezer and reheat in the microwave later in the week.

Walk & Cycle Everywhere 
I don't own a car as I don't drive, so I don't have the worry of thinking about bringing a car. However it does mean I have to figure out other ways of getting around. When discussing this topic with my brother, the idea of cycling came up. I personally don't cycle around the city I live in as I am a terrible cyclist and would definitely be run over. However my brother has fixed up his bike up and is planning on cycling everywhere. But if you have the cycling ability that I have then walking around and hopping on a bus may be your best bet. Most universities will run a bus pass scheme as well.

I hope you have found these tips useful and gives you an idea of things to do to make the jump to university smoother. Sorry I haven't been posting as much but I am planning on changing that so thanks for sticking around.

What would your tips and advice for starting university?

Emily <3

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Definitely such great tips! x

    https://dreamingoffithavenue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the tips useful :) xx

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric